Today we share with you the french recipe of Cannelés from Bordeaux by the San Nicolas Pastry Shop. This traditional Canelé with Madagascar vanilla and old rum is THE specialty of this pastry shop. Chef Cyril San Nicolas makes this crispy and tender cake his specialty and his canelés are a reference in Bordeaux image-Canelés de Bordeaux : the real traditional recipe (in video)- canelés, recipe? ! So to make these little wonders, follow the master in this video!
Table of Contents
500ml of whole milk
3 egg yolks and 1 whole egg
100 g of flour
50 g of corn flower
250 g sugar
1 vanilla pod
50g of butter (25g to butter the molds)
5 cl of rum
Steps of the recipe
- In a saucepan, boil 375 ml of milk with the vanilla bean split in half.
- Add the remaining cold milk (125 ml) with 25g of soft butter. Mix.
- Remove the vanilla pod.
- In a bowl, prepare the 3 egg yolks and the whole egg without mixing them.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornflower and sugar. Make a well then add the egg and egg yolks. Mix well to obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Pour the boiling milk in 3 times on the dough, mixing constantly.
- Add the rum and mix again.
- Let the dough rest for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 250°C. Butter the caneles molds and fill them 3/4 of the way with the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 180°C and continue baking for 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Take the canelés out of the oven and let them cool before unmolding them.
Where to take a pastry class on canelés in Bordeaux?
If you come to Bordeaux we recommend the canelés classes given by Elite Cooking or the canelés pastry class given by Sandra Moss Patisserie
How to write canelés ?
Who invented the canelés ?
How to keep the crispness of cannelés?
Can I freeze canelés?
Copper or silicone mold? the best mold for baking canelés.