In this guide, we’ll show you how to make homemade bread without the need for sophisticated baking equipment. We’ll share with you a simple and delicious homemade bread recipe as well as tips on how to make your own bread every time.
Table of Contents
Round-bottomed container (large glass bowl)
Baker’s yeast: 2 packets
Salt: 7 grams
Flour: classic or multigrain (type T65 or T80 or T110 for a wholemeal bread)
300 ml of warm water (not cold)
- Put 500g of flour in the bowl
- Put the salt and the 2 packets of baker’s yeast on each side of the bowl (the salt must not touch the yeast)
- Mix the ingredients with your pastry horn
- Pour the warm water into the mixture. It is important that the water is lukewarm so that the dough can rise well afterwards.
- Mix well, so that the water can penetrate the dough. The dough should look a little wet. If necessary, add a little more water so that the dough sticks to the side of the bowl (depending on the temperature of your room, the dough may dry more quickly).
- Moisten a clean tea towel and cover the bowl to let the dough rise and let it rise for at least 1 hour. It is best to let it rise the day before for the next day.
- Preheat your oven to maximum temperature (high and low broil with fan heat)
- Prepare a baking tray at the top of the oven, we will fill it later with water to humidify the air in the oven.
- Prepare your baking rack with parchment paper.
- Then uncover your bread dough which has risen well and should visually still have a moist appearance.
- Prepare your work surface by throwing some flour on it so that you can easily work your bread dough.
- Tip: To loosen your dough from the bowl, put a little flour on the edge of the bowl and around your dough and then loosen the edges with your pastry horn.
- Then work your dough into the shape you want (a ball for example).
- Moisten your bread very slightly to give it a shiny side.
- Take a sharp knife and make scarifications on the top (crosses for example) to be able to aerate your dough during the cooking
- Take your dough and place it gently on your baking sheet.
- Pour 500 ml of water on your baking sheet on top of the oven
- Then place your baking rack and your bread at half height and let it cook for 40 minutes. Check the cooking every 15 minutes
- Voila it is finished you can taste!
1. How to make homemade bread without a bread machine?
Answer: To make homemade bread without a bread machine, you can knead the dough by hand or use a stand mixer. There are also no-knead methods that require minimal manual work.
2. What ingredients are needed to make homemade bread?
Answer: The basic ingredients for making homemade bread are flour, water, salt, and yeast. You can also add other ingredients to personalize your bread, such as herbs, spices, nuts, or dried fruits.
3. What is the best flour for making homemade bread?
Answer: Wheat flour is the most commonly used flour for making homemade bread, but there are many other options, including spelt, rye, oat, and whole wheat flour. You can also use gluten-free flour blends to make gluten-free bread.
4. How to make bread dough rise faster?
Answer: To make bread dough rise faster, you can place the dough in a warm place, such as near a radiator or in a preheated oven at a low temperature. You can also use rapid or instant yeast for quicker rising.
5. How to tell if bread dough has risen enough?
Answer: To tell if bread dough has risen enough, you can do the “finger” test. Gently press the dough with your finger. If the dough springs back slowly, it is ready to be baked.
6. How to make bread without yeast?
Answer: To make bread without yeast, you can use natural yeast (sourdough) or replace yeast with baking soda and vinegar.
7. How to prevent bread from being too dense?
Answer: To prevent bread from being too dense, make sure to use enough yeast and give enough time for the dough to rise. You can also add warm water during kneading to help the dough develop.
8. How to get a crispy crust on bread?
Answer: To get a crispy crust on bread, spray water on the bread before putting it in the oven or place a container of hot water in the oven while baking to create steam.
9. How long does it take to bake homemade bread?
Answer: The baking time depends on the size and shape of the bread, as well as the oven temperature. Generally, bread should be baked at 200-220°C for 30 to 45 minutes.
10. How to store homemade bread to keep it fresh longer?
Answer: To keep homemade bread fresh longer, wrap it in a clean towel or aluminum foil and store it at room temperature. You can also freeze the bread for longer storage.
11. How to make a gluten free bread ?
To make gluten-free bread, use gluten-free flour blends, such as rice flour, corn flour or buckwheat flour. You can also add xanthan gum or guar gum to help the dough bind and rise.